Here are a few important things to note about upcoming changes to our club schedule and activities:
1. We will be extending club meetings until December 19th, same time and place. (No meeting on December 26th.) Meetings resume January 2nd, 7:00pm in Rm 155 Irving K. Barber.
2. We will no longer offer a "free" icebreaker for guests, as we have a number of members who wish to speak and have priority in acquiring speech slots. This offer may resume once the summer term begins.
3. There will now be a waiting list for members interested in doing speeches. If you wish to do a speech for an upcoming meeting, please email Cass (email@example.com) and she will notify you via email of when the next available dates are.
4. New members are encouraged to work towards their Competent Leadership certification by taking on officer roles which require less experience, such as timer, ah-counter, grammarian, quiz master, and invocator. We encourage all members to take on any of these officer roles, and encourage more experienced members to take on roles such as evaluator, table topics master, table topics evaluator, chair, and general evaluator.
5. We continue to accept new members every week. If you are interested, please visit the How Do I Become a Member tab for more information and come by to one of our weekly meetings! :)
a) Do your icebreaker! If you haven't done your icebreaker speech yet, please sign up on our online agenda. It's a great way to introduce yourself to other members of the club, and get started with your public speaking development.
b) Take on meeting roles! Get to know how to run meetings by doing an officer role (e.g. timer, ah-counter, grammarian, evaluator, table topics master, chair, etc.). The more meeting roles you do, the more opportunities you have to stand and speak in front of an audience and develop your confidence as a speaker.
c) Help organize or volunteer for an external event! Walter Gage Toastmasters is often requested by other clubs and organizations on campus to host workshops. If you're interested in getting more experience of how to run a workshop, or just want more exposure to public speaking, ask if you can help out with our events! You can volunteer to be timer or evaluator for a workshop, or if you would like to present a session, we are more than happy to help guide and prepare you for the role. (Note: These external roles will also help fill out your Competent Leadership manual requirements for several projects!)
d) Help organize or volunteer for a club social event! If you have any suggestions or ideas on what kind of socials we should have, we're happy to hear them. You can help organize and implement a club social along with an executive. This is a great opportunity to gain some experience in things like event planning, finding sponsorship, and more! Let any of the executives know if you'd be interested in helping out with a club social! (Note: These external roles will also help fill out your Competent Leadership manual requirements for several projects!)